History of Saint John Academy
Located in the heart of McLean, Virginia, Saint John Academy has welcomed students and families from Northern Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, D.C. for over 60 years.
Saint John Academy provides children in pre-school through eighth grade with a Catholic education rooted in the rich tradition of academic excellence and spiritual formation reflected in the school’s motto, “Faith, Knowledge, and Joy” – the three virtues that epitomize our approach to education. We are committed to educating the whole child in mind, body, and spirit, and give our students a variety of opportunities to build and develop their spiritual lives, as they grow closer to Christ. Our thorough diocesan curriculum for all grade levels challenges students to meet benchmarks and gain the critical, relevant skills they need to develop their individual potential, and reach new levels of success in an ever-changing world.
Founded in September, 1954 as St. John’s School, the campus originally consisted of a main building with five classrooms. It first opened its doors to 150 elementary students in Kindergarten through Grade 4. Additional grades were added over the next few years.
In 1956, the main school building was expanded to meet the needs of the school’s rapidly growing, enthusiastic student population. Enrollment continued to increase and, by 1961, it became necessary to expand facilities again with an additional building then called the Primary Building. In 1987, our pre-school program was launched, and the Primary Building was renamed the Guardian Angel Building. This building features a gym, and spacious rooms for parish and diocesan activities. Saint John Academy also features a fully furnished music room, library, resource and enrichment rooms, a computer lab with fully networked computers for student research, and ActivBoards — interactive whiteboards — in every SJA classroom.
Today, our school population at Saint John Academy consists of a preschool and a single class for each grade – from pre-kindergarten, through eighth grade. And our progress continues, thanks to the commitment to quality education demonstrated by our pastors, faculty and staff, and the dedication and generosity of our parishioners, and parents.