Pre-School & Pre-Kindergarten at Saint John Academy
Pre-School and Pre-Kindergarten
Preschool— Your child is eligible for preschool if they will be 3 years old by September 30th. However, if your child’s 3rd birthday falls during the month of September, your child may not attend school until that date.
Pre-K— Your child is eligible for Pre-K if they will be 4 years old by September 30th.
Our Pre-School and Pre-Kindergarten programs provide children ages 3-5 with expanded activities and a daily schedule that promotes active and positive interactions with their environment and their classmates. A balance of child-initiated and staff-initiated activities are provided, as well as alternating periods of quiet and active play with small and large group experiences throughout the day. The understanding of basic religious principles and beliefs are deepened through everyday practices as spiritual development is integrated into the curriculum. Class sizes are limited and incorporate both a head teacher and an assistant at all times.
Parents have several options of sessions and days within our program. Pick the session of your choice and then the number of days:
Sessions (Selected session must remain constant for the full school year):
- Morning session: 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Afternoon session: 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Full Day session: 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Number of Days (Selected Days of the week must remain constant for the full school year):
- 2 Half Days : Select morning or Afternoon session
- 3 Half Days : Select Morning or Afternoon session
- 5 Half Days : Select Morning or Afternoon session, Monday through Friday
- 5 Full Days : Monday through Friday Full Day session. The full day includes lunch time and nap time. Lunch is provided by the parents.
Extended Day is available from 3:00-6:00 p.m. for all afternoon sessions and for full day sessions.
Learning goals include:
- Fostering a positive self-concept
- Encouraging youngsters to think, reason, question, and experiment
- Promoting the development of language and social skills
- Nurturing creative expression and promoting an appreciation of the arts
- Developing and demonstrating sound health, safety, and nutritional practices
- Enhancing physical development and skills
- Respecting and understanding cultural diversity
Saint John Academy’s Preschool Program is accredited through the Virginia Catholic Education Association in coordination with the Virginia Council for Private Education. We are also licensed through the Virginia Department of Social Services and we comply with all state and diocesan policies regarding early childhood education.